Welcome to the Farmfair International Round-Up.
We hope you enjoy this monthly round-up. It will include news from exhibitors, industry partners, agriculture shows, sales and other items of interest.
If you are a Farmfair International Exhibitor and are getting inquiries from Mexico – Nacho and Nora at G&G GESTORIA EN COMERCIO EXTERIOR, S.C. have offered to provide support to facilitate communications and translation where required. You can connect with Nacho and Nora at firstname.lastname@example.org
Farmfair International dates for 2021 are November 10 – 14 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Until then, stay healthy and safe
– The team @FarmfairInternational
- Carpathian Land and Livestock shared pictures from the Heartland Cattlemen’s Classic, including this one of the Champion Junior Showman. Glenrose
- Polled Herefords & Angus was at the show, too.
- Cays Cattle showcased a couple of bulls heading to the Prairie Cove Charolais sale on Feb. 11.
- Daines Cattle & O’Neill Livestock offered a look at ONL Project Whiskey 23H, who will be up for sale on April 8.
- The calves from Diamond Nine Shorthorns are growing like crazy.
- Double Bar D Farms posted photos of Double Bar D Bankroll 554H and Red Wave 2005H, up for sale March 2.
- Elliott Bros showed off some new calves, including this son of Final Answer.
- Excel Ranches has partnered with Summit Livestock and Graham Genetics in Australia to bring Summit Ranch-Hand P40 semen to Canada.
- Goad Family Angus showcased Red Goad Mystified 204’20, a Red Angus bull it is selling privately.
- Goldenview Shorthorns has picked a favourite this calving season.
- Greenwood Limousin & Angus showcased some Limousin bulls available by private treaty.
- Lilac Lane Farms shared more baby pictures, including this bull calf.
- Keep Alberta Rolling showcased Lone Star Angus‘s key brand.
- Majestic Shorthorns highlighted some bulls consigned for sale on April 3.
- A deal involving Nelson Hirsche Purebreds and Dallas Farms was mentioned in the writeup on the Hereford Night National Hereford Sale in Oklahoma City in January.
- Nolara Farms shared a few more “Sunday Studs” heading to the Next Step Bull Sale, including its only black Simmental.
- North Hill Simmentals posted about its bulls for sale by private treaty.
- Par Ranch has purebred Speckle Park bulls for sale by private treaty, including PAR Hi-Fi 351H.
- Payne Livestock has embryos for sale out of DYV Paynes Bridget 26B, and bulls for sale as well.
- Pearson Farms has red and black Simmental bulls on offer.
- Rainbow Red Angus has bulls up for sale on March 20, including Red Rainbow Legion 25H.
- Robertson West Livestock shared pictures from its bull pen, featuring yearlings for sale by private treaty.
- Roch Springs Show Cattle is high on the future of Roch Jim Beam 6H.
- Serhienko Cattle Co. showed off a promising udder on a daughter of Starstruck 409.
- Shepalta Farms posted a snapshot of its first calf of 2021.
- Aaron Birch, who grew up at Twin Bridge Farms, was featured in the Western Producer for the success he and Joe Barnett have had with their Gelbvieh operation at Twin View Livestock in Parkbeg, Sask.
- Ty-D Livestock shared video of some bulls it has up for private sale.
- Wallgren Farms posted photos of the bulls it has for sale on Feb. 23.
- Willow Creek Simmentals is excited about some bulls it has up for sale on March 12, including MMWK Red Popeye 14H.
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation posted an update on calf price insurance and the new Livestock Price Insurance website.
- Alberta Beef Producers has launched ABP Daily, a mobile news source on what’s happening in the industry, as well as an ABP magazine.
- Greg Schmidt of the Alberta Cattle Feeders Association called the cattle set-aside program a success as it helped the industry deal with the backlog of market-ready cattle when COVID-19 led to shutdowns at some meat-processing plants.
- Breeder Genetics in Australia has released its Sire Directory for Autumn 2021.
- Farm Credit Canada published its 2021 cattle and hog sector outlook.
- Canadian Cattlemen wrote about Corey Bloder and Maxi Biederstadt of Blushrose Simmental Farm, who fell in love at Lakeland College.
- Olds College shared video of its Livestock Barn during calving season.
- Sumavsky Angus in the Czech Republic put up pictures of new additions to its farm.
- Agribition has launched a new virtual education program.
- The future is bright for bison producers after a tough 2020, Terry Kremeniuk of the Canadian Bison Association told Alberta Farmer Express. Pork producers are less optimistic, said Brent Bushell of the Western Hog Exchange.
- Marty Seymour of Farm Credit Canada spoke to the Ready Set Grow Podcast about innovation. FCC also published a piece on what 5G means for agriculture.
- Lakeland College in Vermilion is getting a $1.9 million grant to take over the beef production systems and pulse agronomy programs in Alberta. It will also offer Canada’s first degree in agriculture technology.
- Sydney Lake of the Lloydminster Agricultural Exhibition Associationtalked to Canadian Cattlemen about how its cattle show was able to go on amid the pandemic. The exhibition’s expansion plans have been put on hold, however.
- Joy Agnew of Olds College spoke to Western Producer about how the school works to evaluate whether agtech is valuable to producers. She spoke to Global News about the role of artificial intelligence.
- An annual Community Christmas Card fundraiser raised more than $1,200 for Scott Douglas, who worked at the Stettler Auction Mart before running into some health issues.
- Feb. 21: Prairie Cove Charolais Bull & Select Female Sale at Bashaw
- Feb. 23: W2 Land & Cattle Bull Sale at Vermilion
- Feb. 25: The Robb Hoegl Greenwood 2021 Bull Sale at Lloydminster
- March 2: Best of Both Worlds 21st Annual Bull Sale
- March 4-5: Chittick Family Farms 10th Annual Bull Sale
- March 5: Future Farms and Charworth Select Charolais Bull Sale at Innisfail
- March 9: Harvie Ranching 12th Annual Bull Sale at Olds
- March 11: Transcon’s Third Annual Next Step Bull Sale at Thorsby
- March 11: Glenrose Polled Herefords and Angus 2021 Online Bull Sale
- March 11: Nelson Hirsche Purebreds 2nd Annual Spring 4 Breed Bull Sale
- March 12: Northern Classic 18th Annual Simmental & Charolais Bull Sale at Grande Prairie
- March 13: Brandl Annual Bull Sale at Jarvie
- March 13: Lone Star Angus Power Up Bull Sale at Sylvan Lake
- March 19: Red White and Roan Production Sale at the Stettler Auction Mart
- March 19: Harvest Angus 2021 Bull Sale
- March 20: Joint Venture 42nd Annual Bull Sale at Sangudo
- March 27: K-Cow Ranch Annual Bull Sale at Elk Point
- March 27: 2021 Summit 3 Speckle Park Sale at Ardrossan
- April 3: Western Prime Shorthorn Sale at Westlock
- April 8: Daines Cattle Bull & Female Sale at Innisfail
- April 8: Genetic Distinction – 3rd Annual Online Bull Sale
- April 12: Riverside Angus & Dersta Farm Bull Sale at InnisfailThis is just a selection of sales mentioned recently by exhibitors. Find many more listings at Bohrson Marketing Services, Bow Slope Shipping Association, Calgary Stockyards, DLMS Farm Gate Timed Auctions, Dryland Cattle Trading Corp., DVAuction, Innisfail Auction Market, Medicine Hat Feeding Company, OPB Cunkov, Olds Auction Mart, Perlich Bros Auction Market, Picture Butte Auction, Provost Livestock Exchange, S.A.L.E. Southern Alberta Livestock Exchange, SC Online Sales, Stettler Auction Mart, TEAM (The Electronic Auction Market), Thorsby Stockyards, Transcon Livestock Corp., and Vold, Jones & Vold.
- Feb. 22 and March 1: Nutrient Management Seminar Series
- Feb. 23: Canada’s Agriculture Day: Virtual Fireside Chat with Michael Hoffort and Dominic Barton
- Feb. 23: Ballads, Brews & Moos with Colter Wall and Guardians of the Grasslands viewing
- Feb. 24: Preparing your business for a post-COVID future
- Feb. 24-26: Ag-Expo and North American Seed Fair
- Wednesdays from Feb. 24 to March 24: Riparian Management Workshop
- March 2: Lakeland Agricultural Research Association AGM and research update
- March 3 and 4: Adaptive Multi-paddock Grazing Workshop
- March 3-5: Revitalizing the Farm Web: Cultivating Crops & Community
- March 6: The 22nd Wildrose Bison Convention and Sale
- March 9: FCC Women’s Summit
- March 9-11: Alberta Forage Industry Network AGM and Conference
- March 11: Virtual Job Fair at Lakeland College
- The Beef Cattle Research Council invites expressions of interest for research projects and for technology transfer and production economics projects. The application deadline is Feb. 26.
- Applications for Agriculture Financial Services Corporation‘s 4-H Alberta Grassroots Fund are open until March 5.
- Applications are open until the end of March for the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association’s Cattlemen’s Young Leaders Mentorship Program.
- Alberta Milk‘s New Entrant Assistance Program (NEAP) is open for applications until March 31.
- West Central Forage is looking to hire summer field technicians.