Northlands Purebred Beef Spotlight for April
- Cays Cattle was happy to see Outlaw’s progeny coming along nicely at Horseshoe E Charolais.
- Charolais Charbray is getting ready for Juzgamiento Nacional Virtual 2021, to be broadcast live from Mexico on Aug. 26-27.
- CNI Ranching shared video of a couple of two-year-olds and another two-year-old Angus bull.
- Codiak Acres will be using the spent grain from 70 Acre Brew Co., a new brewery in the works in Strathcona County, reports the Edmonton Journal.
- Compass Ranch showed off its new herd sire.
- Daines Cattle & O’Neill Livestock expressed gratitude for its recent sale, and Dersta Farms did so, too.
- Double Arrow Stock Farm displayed the bulls it will be using this year, including ARG Hector 1777, as well as Hill Haven Firestorm 28C and Millbrook Fireball 23F.
- Elliott Bros introduced two new herd sires.
- Glenrose Polled Herefords & Angus shared its newest additions: Harvie Venture 219G and MJT Rocky 506G.
- Goldenview Shorthorns showed off a just-born baby as calving season drew to a close.
- MT Bar Ranch caught some nice pix of yearling Speckle Park bulls catching some rays.
- Nolara Farms has one yearling bull to sell after a successful bull sale in mid-March.
- PAR Ranch has some Speckle Park bulls for sale by private treaty.
- Serhienko Cattle Co. shared video of a Charolais calf on a spring day.
- Ty-D Livestock added an awfully cute member to the crew.
- Wildman Livestock has semen available from Red Wildman Karl 709E.
- Dakota Farmer profiled the Sundsbak 7/S Ranch, an Angus breeder whose High Caliber was the champion bull at Agribition.
- Feedlot capacity in Alberta exceeds the size of the domestic cattle herd, and that likely won’t change “until producers have access to better risk management programs,” Brad Dubeau of Alberta Beef Producers told Western Producer.
- Kendra Donnelly, an executive board member of the Alberta Cattle Feeders Association, was honoured with the Leadership Award from the Alberta Farm Animal Care Association.
- Bob Lowe has been re-elected as president of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association. He told farms.com that Canada’s beef sector is “well positioned to help the Canadian economy recover through the pandemic while also continuing to contribute positively to the environment.”
- Dennis Laycraft, executive vice-president of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association, welcomed the prospect of downgrading Canada’s international BSE risk status.
- Research involving the Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences at the University of Alberta has found benefits from adaptive multi-paddock grazing.
- Livestock Gentec wrote about how David Sibbald and Sandy Russell got the Canadian Beef Improvement Network off the ground with the backing of the Canadian Beef Breeds Council.
- Olds College is conducting docility tests on Gelbvieh heifers.
- The winner of the junior judging competition at the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW‘s Sydney Royal Cattle Show was awestruck by her win. “I really tried to focus on walking out there, putting an honest opinion forward and saying what I believe in,” said Grace Burns, 15.
- “After a year of adjusting to the shocks associated with COVID‐19 the Canadian cattle and beef sector faces a relatively optimistic future,” says a paper in the Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, which cites the Western Stock Growers Association and Canadian Cattlemen’s Association, among others.
- El Sol De Mexico reported (in Spanish) that the Mexican livestock sector saw 3% growth, despite the pandemic
- Mexico ranks in the top ten meat exporters, as reported in Spanish by WRadio.com.
- Reports of Mexico cutting U.S. beef imports and the Mexican cold meat industry seeing a slight drop were reported (in Spanish) by Ganaderia.com.
- Recipients of the Next Gen Agriculture Mentorship Program, delivered by Agribition, have been announced.
- A rough start for beekeepers this year has the Alberta Canola Producers Commission worried.
- Alberta’s four poultry producer boards — Alberta Chicken Producers, Alberta Turkey Producers, Alberta Hatching Egg Producers, and Egg Farmers of Alberta — have formed a partnership with the University of Calgary’s Faculty of Veterinary Medicine to support a poultry diagnostic system.
- Lamb prices are soaring, and it’s not clear why, says Ryan Greir, chair of Alberta Lamb Producers.
- Brent Moen is staying on as chair of Alberta Pork.
- Canola, wheat, and barley exports are running significantly ahead of last year’s pace, reports the Canadian Grain Commission.
- Foodservice businesses have adapted and innovated throughout the pandemic, said members of a panel at the Canadian Produce Marketing Association‘s Fresh Week. The conference also heard about changes to global produce supply chains.
- Farm Credit Canada released its 2021 Food and Beverage Report.
- Alberta has been declared free of potato cyst nematode, a victory for the Potato Growers of Alberta.
- The Royal Agricultural Society of the Commonwealth mourned the death of Prince Philip, its longtime president and patron.
- It’s membership renewal time for West Central Forage.
- The drought in Mexico continues to deepen, causing increasing damage to livestock producers, as reported by Spanish language newspaper, La Jornada
- April 22: 66 Ranch 10th Annual Bull Sale
- April 24: 9th Annual Wiwa Creek Angus Bull Sale from Ruth Lake, SK
- April 24: ACREA San Marcos Auction 2021 from Limousin Brahmousin De México
- April 24: Deer River Ranching 2-year & Yearling Black Angus Bull Sale
- April 27: Stock Cow, Bred Heifer and Cow/Calf Pair Sale
- April 28-30: OPB Cunkov bull sales from the Czech Republic
- May 1: Rust Mountain View Ranch Spring Turn-Out Bull Sale from Mercer, ND
- May 7-8: Nordal Angus & Limousin “Going to Grass” Online Bull & Commercial Pair Sale
- May 8-10: Canadian Donors “Fall Calving Mother’s Day” Online Pregnant Recipient Sale
This is just a selection of sales. Find many more listings at Bohrson Marketing Services, Bow Slope Shipping Association, Calgary Stockyards, DLMS Farm Gate Timed Auctions, Dryland Cattle Trading Corp., DVAuction, Innisfail Auction Market, Medicine Hat Feeding Company, OPB Cunkov, Olds Auction Mart, Perlich Bros Auction Market, Picture Butte Auction, Provost Livestock Exchange, S.A.L.E. Southern Alberta Livestock Exchange, SC Online Sales, Stettler Auction Mart, TEAM (The Electronic Auction Market), Thorsby Stockyards, Transcon Livestock Corp., and Vold, Jones & Vold.
- April 21: ABIC Speaker Series with Curtis Frank of Maple Leaf Foods
- April 28: Sustainable Ag Leads the Way: Economic Recovery for Alberta Webinar
- April 29: Alberta Beef Producers Town Hall
- May 4: Guardians of the Grasslands Public Launch
- May 4-5: Saskatchewan Agri-Value Forum & Networking 2021 Event
- May 10-14: Animal Nutrition Conference of Canada
- May 10, 12, 14, and 17: Agri-food Innovation Council 2021 Virtual Summit
Opportunities and invitations
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation has set up a Business Bootcamp to help new farmers set up a business plan.
The University of Guelph is conducting a national study of farmer mental health until May 7.