Purebred Beef Spotlight
- Boulview Nangaringa celebrated a successful Western Downs Santa Gertrudis bull sale.
- Carpathian Land and Livestock was happy with its showing at the Canadian Junior National All Breeds Show.
- Daines Cattle & O’Neill Livestock has the perfect cow for training the next generation.
- Dream Maker Cattle Company looked back at a successful Barrhead Beef Bash.
- Goad Family Angus showed off Red Goad Spunk 104’16, its mature herdsire.
- Greenwood Limousin & Angus looked ahead to the 1st Evolution sale with some shots of its feature Showman females bred to Oklahoma Son.
- KC Stock Farm previewed the Canadian Red Round Up with a picture of Red KC Ambert Ruby 10J.
- MT Bar Ranch Speckle Parks shared a cool picture of a recip cow nursing identical twins.
- Nolara Farms is teaming up with Gilchrist Genetics at its open female sale in October.
- The first time off the farm was a success for Rainbow Red Angus‘s Red Roundup consignments at the Barrhead Beef Bash.
- Rustic Lily Angus shared a video of Rustic Lily Rose 2J, who is headed to the Olds Fall Classic and Farmfair International.
- Willow Creek Simmentals was happy to turn its weaned heifer calves out to graze after recent rains turned the grass around.
Sales and Shows
- Sept. 23-26: World Beef Expo in Wisconsin
- Sept. 24-25: McCarty Cattle Company [Online Only] – The Female Sale
- Sept. 25: Smith Genetics – Synergy Sale XIV
- Sept. 25: North Dakota Stockmen’s Association – 92nd Annual Convention & Trade Show
- Sept. 25: Southeast Brangus Breeders Association – Showcase Sale
- Sept. 25: Live Oak Beefmaster Breeders Association – 46th Annual Sale
- Oct. 1: I Subasta Angus El Sauz 2021
- Oct.1-3: Olds Fall Classic
- Oct. 2: Ladies of the Fall Speckle Park Sale in Ardrossan
- Oct. 2: Gran Subasta Brangus Rojo del Noreste
- Oct. 2: 4th Annual Ontario Simmental Solution Sale
- Oct. 7: The Evolution: Volume 1
- Oct. 7-17: Exposición Norestense
- Oct. 9: Remitall West Fall Hereford & Angus Production Sale in Olds
- Oct. 9: Prospect Hill & Strilchuk Shorthorns Dispersal in Meeting Creek
- Oct. 14-17: 49th Annual Canadian Red Roundup in Olds
- Oct. 15: Uppin’ the Ante Charolais Sale in Hanover, ON
- Oct. 15-16: Stars of the Valley Simmental Sale
- Oct. 16: ANL/Glenlees Polled Herefords & Guests Production Sale in Steelman, SK
- Oct. 16: Rusylvia Cattle Co Round 7 Heifer & Steer Sale
- Oct. 18: Justamere Farms 22nd Sale of the Year Annual Angus Sale in Lloydminster
- Oct. 21: Mader Ranches – Ladies Night Bred Female Sale in Carstairs
- Oct. 23-25: Gilchrist Genetics – Genetics Gems Online Female Sale
- Oct. 21-31: Exposición Nacional Limousin Brahmousin
- Oct. 21-Nov. 14: Expo Ganadera Jalisco
- Nov. 10-13: Farmfair International in Edmonton
- Nov. 16: Chittick Family Farms Fall Female Production Sale
- Nov. 22-27: Canadian Western Agribition in Regina
- AgriRecovery funds will help, but it’s not enough to keep many ranchers from selling off their cattle after a drought-ridden summer and continued feed shortages, said Melanie Wowk of Alberta Beef Producers.
- The volume of sales at the Calgary Stockyards this summer was “like nothing we’ve ever seen before,” said Jason Danard. But prices have remained stable, and it doesn’t look like there will be a huge sell-off, said Ian Goodbrand of Dryland Cattle Trading Corp..
- Beef Australia had record attendance at Beef 2021 in May but registered an $800,000 financial loss, attributed to measures to make the event COVID-safe. The organization remains in a strong financial position heading into 2024, said chair Bryce Camm.
- Sixteen finalists have been selected for the 2021-22 Cattlemen’s Young Leaders mentorship program, a national youth initiative of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association.
- The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association welcomed Singapore’s decision to remove remaining restrictions on Canadian beef following an international ruling on Canada’s negligible BSE risk.
- The Canadian Limousin Association named Wayne Burgess of Carstairs as its new president.
- The Charolais Charbray International Virtual Exposition 2021 continues until Nov. 30, with results to be announced in February.
- Livestock Gentec and University of Alberta biologist David Wishart are developing Arm-Chair Rancher, a mobile app to make recommendations based on an analysis of data on production traits, genetics, and economics. Meanwhile, Results Driven Agriculture Research (RDAR) has funded Flokk Systems, which is developing a digital production herd management tool, and OneCup AI has developed Bovine Expert Tracking and Surveillance, or BETSY, to identify and monitor livestock using facial recognition.
- The Mexico Angus Association published a piece on Angus certification in Paraguay and another on how the pandemic has altered consumer perspectives on food.
- Lakeland College has officially opened its new Ag Tech Centre in Vermilion.
- Drought management is a long game, and it begins the day you start ranching, said Graeme Finn of Southern Cross Livestock at a field tour organized by West Central Forage in August. Wetland conservation is part of the solution, too, said Tracy Scott of Ducks Unlimited.
- Livestock Gentec summarized some of the key takeaways from AgSmart, hosted by Olds College in August.
- Jackie Tomayer has been named general manager of the Lloydminster Agricultural Exhibition Association.
- Sept. 22: What’s the Beef About Beef?
- Sept. 22: Talk it Out: Succession Planning & Managing Relationships
- Sept. 28: Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef annual general meeting
- Sept. 29: AgCulture from Do More Agriculture Foundation
- Sept. 30: Alberta Beef Producers Semi-Annual Meeting and Producer Town Hall
- Oct. 13: Global Fertilizer Day, hosted by Fertilizer Canada
- Nov. 3-7: Canadian Finals Rodeo in Red Deer
- Nov. 10-12: Agri-Trade Equipment Expo in Red Deer
- Nov. 17: Basics of Backgrounding – Veterinary & Expert Insights Across Canada
- Nov. 22-23: Advancing Women Conference
Opportunities and Invitations
- Applications are now open for the 2021 Canada-Alberta Livestock Feed Assistance initiative to help cover feed and water access costs for breeding female livestock. It is administered by the Agriculture Financial Services Corporation.
- Applications are open for Hay West 2021, a relief program from the Canadian Federation of Agriculture to send hay from eastern and central Canada to drought-stricken western livestock producers.
- Canadian Western Agribition is running a scholarship program to support and incentivize young people to pursue higher education. Applicants must have participated in Agribition in the past. The deadline to apply is Oct. 1.
« Sheep Producers Scholarship – Applications are open!